Frequently Asked Questions
Most people feel unsure about their ability to listen well and don’t always know what to say. These courses are designed to teach individuals that it is possible to become a better listener regardless of context or walk of life. Empathic listening is the basis for meaningful relationships. It helps create the internal space necessary to truly value the dignity of the other person.
The Foundational course typically takes 60-90 minutes to complete. This course combines a modest amount of theoretical grounding with specific, practical guidance on accurately listening to the other and effectively responding to assure that person has been truly heard. Participants can expect to:
- Gain a basic understanding of empathy and empathic listening
- Learn the essential skills required for empathic listening
- Enhance listening skills through basic exercises
- Understand several distinctions between social and empathic conversations
- Become familiar with basic grief theory and the losses and changes which evoke grief
- Learn effective and flawed responses to grieving persons
The preferred browser to use with our courses is Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer.
We do, however, successfully test the course in the following browsers (using default settings and no additional plugins): Google Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.
Use of browsers other than Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer is not advisable. If you are using other browsers besides Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer and experience errors or issues with the course, please attempt to use Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer.